We’re hiring exceptional people for what we consider the “best job ever.” Imagine telling Detroit’s story to locals and visitors from around the world while using the streets of Detroit as your workplace. You won’t find yourself tethered to counters or boring cubicles here. If this sounds exciting, please read more about our amazing opportunities.
If you’re articulate, enthusiastic, energetic, self-directed, and reliable, then you just may be the ideal person to tell Detroit’s story. Detroit’s status as a tour destination has increased dramatically over the past few years. More individuals are choosing to visit Detroit each year, and established tour operators are bringing large groups via bus, airplane, and cruise ship weekly to explore the city. To meet this large demand to see Detroit via private and public tours, we need to increase our team. While knowledge of Detroit’s history, art, and architecture is desirable, we’re willing to train dedicated applicants who love the city and possess the traits we mentioned in the first sentence.
We offer an exciting work environment in the travel industry without having to leave home. We pay competitive training and tour guide wages. You can choose to be a part-time/seasonal employee or independent contractor.
A leader in the local tourism market since 2016, City Tour Detroit offers its signature “See the D public walking tours, step-on guide service (we hop on chartered buses), and a variety of themed walking and bus tours. (Check out our tours at www.citytourdetroit.com)
Responsibilities and Requirements
- Takes pride in being reliable and punctual
- Imparts a friendly, upbeat, and positive attitude toward our clients/guests
- Demonstrates excitement and passion when sharing Detroit’s story
- Follows set tour itineraries and create your own when necessary
- Leads small and large groups via walking and bus tours
- Speaks clearly and concisely on local topics using storytelling and other methods to engage guests
- Takes initiative, able to multitask, and make decisions on the fly.
- Possesses basic computer literacy (We schedule public tours via FareHarbor and private tours via Google calendar and drive)
- Remains current on tour topics and Detroit in general
Extras! While not mandatory, possessing any of the following skills or traits would be an asset
- Fluent in a second language or American Sign Language
- First aid certified
- Previous experience leading groups
- Lives in Detroit and active in community
- Theater or education experience
- Social Media Skills – Facebook, Instagram, TikTok
- Photography and/or video skills
- Writing skills
- Tech savvy
- Have a following: Are you an author, musician, actor, Detroit content writer, public figure, social media star, etc.?
Frequently Asked Questions
I’d love to be a guide, but I work. Can I still be a guide?
Yes, we offer tours on weekends, weekdays, and some evenings during the tour season which runs Spring-Fall. So, we can work around your schedule.
This position is mainly seasonal. Are there opportunities to work in the off-season?
Things do slow down but we do receive requests for private tours year round. Therefore, there are still opportunities to guide outside our busy season as well as opportunities to work in our souvenir/gift shop and assist with research and development, marketing, tour sales, etc.
What’s the pay?
Training wage is $15 per hour. Once you’ve advanced from the training program, pay rate is $20 per hour with the opportunity to earn performance bonuses as well as tips and gratuities. While we do not ever ask clients for tips, they are frequently given by satisfied customers in this industry and can be quite lucrative. Base pay raises are offered periodically based on performance.
If you’re still reading and interested, then please apply below: