This is more of an experience than a tour. Four major conductors in the UGRR, dress in character and walk you through the city’s major locations, where, in the 1840s and 50s, was a hotbed of abolitionist sentiment and where thousands of fugitive slaves were spirited in secret to various “stops,” then onto awaiting boats to take them to freedom—less than a mile away in Windsor, Ontario. I’m a native Detroiter and this was my second time on the tour; it was that good! Read more
See The D Sunset Trolley Tour of Detroit
Travel via Open-air, Restored Trolley
Numerous Photo Ops
Leisurely evening tour aboard a restored, vintage trolley offers a fun and relaxing way to see Detroit. Enjoy Detroit’s vibrant street scene as we cruise through eclectic neighborhoods and witness the sunset on Belle Isle, our beautiful island park!
Detroit tour showcases art, architecture, history, new developments
Open-air trolley brings the city up close and personal
German-style outdoor biergarten stop (drinks not included)
Click the tabs to find out more
6% booking fee assessed on tickets booked online (you can avoid booking fee by purchasing tickets via phone).
500 Griswold Street, Suite 250, Detroit MI 48226 (lobby of the Guardian Building, Detroit’s crown jewel)
May 24, June 21, July 19 / 7 pm – 10 pm
- Advance registration required
- Must be 21 and older to purchase beer or wine at the biergarten stop (proper ID required)
- Narrated tour
- Photo ops
- Detroit snacks
- Snacks and beverage at biergarten stop
- Driver & guide gratuity (while not mandatory, tips are customary and alway appreciated).
What to bring
- Great attitude
- Appropriate clothes for the weather
- Bottled water or non-alcoholic beverage if desired
Staff for Tour
Led by our own passionate, expert guide and a professional, insured driver.
Enjoy seeing our beautiful downtown business district, “the beach” at Campus Martius Park, the popular Stadium District, historic Brush Park, and Midtown, our cultural and educational hub. In Midtown, you can enjoy a delightful glass of German wine or beer at Stadt Garten, a cool outdoor urban biergarten located in a hip neighborhood (beverages on your own). Or, use the time to explore the eclectic neighborhood which is home to college students and professionals and interesting 18th and early 19th century architecture. Eastern Market, a historic marketplace and outdoor mural gallery, and Detroit’s beloved island park Belle Isle (Michigan’s 102nd state park) are on the itinerary too. From Belle Isle’s Sunset Point, you’ll be able to take fabulous photos of the Detroit and Windsor skylines, and weather permitting, spectacular sunsets.
Sometimes Belle Isle is closed to vehicular traffic due to overcrowding. If that occurs, we’ll go to another special spot to see the sunset. Speaking of sunsets, we can’t guarantee those either. Although we hope for the perfect night, the weather is fickle. Detroit still shines under cloudy skies and light rain (bring an umbrella). We’ll make equal accommodations if the outdoor biergarten isn’t open due to weather too.
- Sunset NOT Guaranteed! Weather is fickle. Tour still runs during cloudy conditions or light rain.
- Advanced registration required. Confirmation emailed at time of purchase. (Make sure your email and phone number are correct).
- No need to print tickets. Name will appear on manifest.
- Tickets are NOT refundable unless tour is canceled by City Tour Detroit. Tickets are transferable.
- Tour runs light rain or shine. If severe and dangerous weather conditions exist, we’ll cancel the tour. We have no control over weather so please check your text and email messages prior to tour start.
- Paid parking is available at Huntington Place the Buhl Garage located across the street. Other structure and street parking options nearby as well.
Check out what our guests are saying
Nancy was our guide for the See the D tour. We decided to take a visiting out-of-town relative down to Detroit, but realized we didn’t know much about it despite having lived here all of our lives. Nancy was extremely informative and accommodating. Read more
To be honest, I didn’t have the best impression of Detroit before visiting but Pat at City Tour Detroit changed all that! She was a wonderful tour guide that had so much passion and love of Detroit…it was definitely contagious! I learned so much from her — she had great facts about all the locations we visited. 10/10 Read more
My girlfriend and I took a trip to Detroit and reserved The see the D tour. Our guide Nancy did a great job. She covered a wide range of topics and made the city feel very unique. Read more
This was a very fun activity to enjoy downtown Detroit. The stories are interesting and some are quite grim. I think that much of the enjoyment is dependent upon how well the group interacts and plays along with the tour guide. This 2.5 hr tour on foot is very easy to walk. Read more